Swing Bed Services at Phoebe Worth
When a hospital stay goes beyond three days because of a condition that requires extended care services, a patient might qualify for Swing Bed Services at Phoebe Worth Medical Center.
Swing Bed Services are offered in the Medical/Surgical Unit of the 25-bed critical access hospital in Sylvester, Ga. The facility provides the long-term inpatient services to patients by physician referral only. The most common referrals are patients who are:
- Post CVA (stroke)
- Post Craniotomies
- Post Amputees
- Post-op Orthopedic Patients (Hip, Knee Replacements, etc.)
Licensed therapists each with more than 20 years experience are available to provide physical, occupational and speech therapies to patients in the Swing Bed unit.
Other common referrals to Swing Bed include:
- Resolving Pneumonia
- Long-Term IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Decubitus Wound Care
- Post-Op Wound Care
- Slow-healing surgical wounds, diabetic ulcers, and pressure sores
- Generally Debilitated or Deconditioned patients
- Debilitation secondary to multiple trauma – MVA, etc.
- Decreased mobility compromised by comorbid conditions as Congested Heart Failure, Emphysema, etc.
To be referred to Phoebe Worth’s Swing Bed Unit, the patient must have completed a three-day qualifying acute care hospital stay, meaning they must have spent three consecutive days in one or more hospitals – three days including the day of admission and in addition to the day of discharge.
Swing Bed referral is not open to patients who require a level or type of care beyond that which is routinely provided by a skilled nursing facility. Examples of patients who would not qualify for Swing Bed admission would include:
- Patients addicted to narcotics/alcohol
- Patients suffering from uncontrolled/unstable psychotic disorders
- Patients requiring restraints. They must be stable and out of restraints for three days before being admitted to the unit.
Each patient’s care will be based on identified patient care needs and standards of practice and in coordination with other therapies. Standardized care plans are approved by a physician. Patients will be given the same rights as all other patients admitted to Phoebe Worth.
Swing Bed Services operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is staffed with professional RNs and Certified Nursing Assistants.
The unit accepts Medicare and some Private Insurance reimbursements.
To make a referral for Swing Bed Placement, call Josie Woodard, RN, UR/Swing Bed Coordinator, at 229-777-3890 or 229-777-3877.