Questions to Ask About Surgery for Primary Bone Cancer

Questions to Ask About Surgery for Primary Bone Cancer

You’ll meet with your surgeon before surgery to talk about the procedure. Doctors who specialize in removing bone and soft tissue tumors are called orthopedic oncology surgeons. When you meet with your surgeon, you can ask any questions and address any concerns you have. Here are some questions to ask your surgeon:

  • What are the risks of having this surgery?

  • Are there alternatives to surgery? 

  • How many surgeries like this have you performed? 

  • How will the surgery change my appearance?

  • What can I do to make it easier to return to my normal activities after surgery?

  • When can I return to work, go to school, drive, and resume recreational activities?

  • What are the possible side effects of the surgery?

  • Will the surgery change how active I can be?

  • Will I need any type of rehabilitation therapy after surgery? 

  • Will I need other treatments before or after surgery?

  • What are the chances this will cure the cancer?

  • What are the chances my cancer will come back? If it does, where is it likely to return? What would we do if this happens?

Before the surgery, the surgeon will find out if you are taking any medications. The surgeon will also go over your medical records and may order certain tests to make sure you don’t have any other health problems that could affect your surgery. You should tell your primary care doctor, or any other specialist you have, such as a cardiologist, of your upcoming surgery. Then, they can clear you for upcoming surgery. After you have discussed all of the details with the surgeon, you will sign a permission or consent form that allows the doctor to do the surgery. You should understand exactly what is planned to be done during the surgery before signing the permission or consent form.


The third-party content provided in the Health Library of is for informational purposes only and is not designed to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or replace the professional medical advice you receive from your physician. If you or your child has or suspect you may have a health problem, please consult your primary care physician. If you or your child may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 or other emergency health care provider immediately in the United States or the appropriate health agency of your country. For more information regarding site usage, please visit: Privacy Information, Terms of Use or Disclaimer.