What Is Kaposi Sarcoma?

What Is Kaposi Sarcoma?

To help you understand what is happening when you have cancer, it helps to know how your body works normally. Your body is made up of tiny building blocks called cells. Healthy cells grow and multiply when the body needs them, and die out when the body does not need them.

Cancer is made up of abnormal cells that grow whether they are needed or not. A sarcoma is a cancer that grows in body tissues. It can grow in bones, cartilage, blood vessels, fat, muscles, or tendons and other stringy tissue.

In Kaposi sarcoma (KS), cancer develops from the cells that line lymph or blood vessels. The cancer cells can also grow in the mucous membranes in the nose, mouth, lung, and anus. KS causes purple, brown, or red patches on the skin. These patches are called lesions. KS lesions can spread to other organs in the body, such as the liver and lungs. KS gets its name from Dr. Moritz Kaposi, who first described it.

The lesions can be deforming, but are not usually life-threatening. In most cases, the lesions cause no symptoms. Sometimes, though, the lesions can cause pain or swelling of the skin. When KS involves the liver, lungs, digestive system, or lymph nodes, other symptoms can develop. For example, KS tumors in the lungs can cause breathing problems.

KS may be seen in people with AIDS, but KS can also occur in people without HIV or AIDS.

Infection with human herpes virus 8 (HHV-8) causes KS, although most people infected with HHV-8 do not develop KS. HHV-8 creates an inflammatory state needed for KS to grow. KS is especially aggressive in people with AIDS, because HIV infection weakens the immune system. This allows the tumors to grow more easily.

Related Items

The third-party content provided in the Health Library of phoebeputney.com is for informational purposes only and is not designed to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or replace the professional medical advice you receive from your physician. If you or your child has or suspect you may have a health problem, please consult your primary care physician. If you or your child may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 or other emergency health care provider immediately in the United States or the appropriate health agency of your country. For more information regarding site usage, please visit: Privacy Information, Terms of Use or Disclaimer.