What To Do When You Find a Skin Abnormality

What To Do When You Find a Skin Abnormality

cell carcinoma
Finding a suspicious bump like this one can be a frightening experience, but with regular skin self-exams, the American Academy of Dermatology's free screening program, and your doctor, your chances of catching any problems in their early stages are significantly increased.

Each year, thousands of people find irregular spots, bumps, or sores that do not heal on their skin. Many assume that the bumps are nothing to worry about. Often, these skin changes have been growing unobserved for years. Some may be malignant (cancerous). Others are not.

To increase the odds of finding skin cancer as early as possible, the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) recommends performing a skin self-exam regularly. You can do a skin self-exam by visually checking all areas of your skin, using a mirror for hard-to-see spots. Areas that get the most sunlight, such as the face, hands, legs, and forearms, are particularly at risk so you should examine them carefully. You can ask your partner, a friend, or a family member to help you with areas that are difficult to see, such as your back or under your hair.

If you don’t know whether the spot is abnormal, if you are unsure whether your insurance will cover the expense, or if you can’t afford to make an appointment with a dermatologist, the AAD provides free skin screenings at participating doctors during limited times of the year. These doctors cannot make a diagnosis, but they can tell you if you should see a dermatologist. Visit the AAD website or call your local health department to find a nearby doctor and the dates the screenings are being performed.

Related Items

The third-party content provided in the Health Library of phoebeputney.com is for informational purposes only and is not designed to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or replace the professional medical advice you receive from your physician. If you or your child has or suspect you may have a health problem, please consult your primary care physician. If you or your child may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 or other emergency health care provider immediately in the United States or the appropriate health agency of your country. For more information regarding site usage, please visit: Privacy Information, Terms of Use or Disclaimer.