Stroke's Aftermath May Be Tougher on Women

Stroke's Aftermath May Be Tougher on Women

MONDAY, Feb. 17, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Women who survive a stroke tend to have a poorer quality of life than male stroke survivors do, a new study suggests.

"As more people survive strokes, physicians and other health care providers should pay attention to quality-of-life issues and work to develop better interventions, even gender-specific screening tools, to improve these patients' lives," study senior author Dr. Cheryl Bushnell, an associate professor of neurology at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, said in a center news release.

For the study, published online recently in the journal Neurology, researchers looked at 1,370 adults, aged 56 to 77, who survived a stroke or mini-stroke. The patients were assessed three months and one year later.

At three months, women were more likely than men to have mobility problems, pain and discomfort, as well as anxiety and depression. At one year, women still had poorer overall quality of life than men, but the difference was not as large as at three months, the investigators found.

"We found that age, race and marital status accounted for the biggest differences between men and women at three months, with marital status being the most important," Bushnell said. "Even though the women in the study were older than the men, our study showed that age really had very little effect on quality of life."

She added that the findings show the need for further research to determine how to improve the lives of female stroke survivors.

More information

The U.S. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke has more about rehabilitation after a stroke.

SOURCE: Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, news release, Feb. 7, 2014

Today's Interactive Tools
Related Items

The third-party content provided in the Health Library of is for informational purposes only and is not designed to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or replace the professional medical advice you receive from your physician. If you or your child has or suspect you may have a health problem, please consult your primary care physician. If you or your child may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 or other emergency health care provider immediately in the United States or the appropriate health agency of your country. For more information regarding site usage, please visit: Privacy Information, Terms of Use or Disclaimer.