A  A  A   Print
Anger Can Raise Cholesterol Levels

Anger Can Raise Cholesterol Levels

When someone cuts you off on a busy highway, do you pound the steering wheel in fury and shout at the driver? Or do you swallow your anger and dwell on it later?

Either way, you're not being kind to your heart, researchers say.

If you respond to every anger-inducing situation by blowing your stack or by holding it in, you could be setting yourself up for serious heart problems.

Why? It's simple. According to Ohio State University researchers, there's evidence that people who respond rigidly to anger-provoking events are likely to wind up with significantly elevated levels of artery-damaging cholesterol.

Experts suggest that the best response to anger-provoking situations is to be creative and flexible. It's important to turn off the anger as soon as possible to reduce its physiological effects.

In subjects who always reacted to an anger-provoking situation in the same negative way, researchers found levels of "bad" or LDL cholesterol ranked higher, regardless of whether they expressed the anger or held it in.

Researchers also found that those who were flexible, but who hid their anger slightly more often than showing it, had the lowest levels of "bad" and total cholesterol.

Why does intense anger trigger the release of lipids (fats) from the tissues into the bloodstream? The body releases the fatty substances for energy as part of its "fight or flight" survival response to perceived danger.

In some situations, the healthiest response is to insist quietly on your rights, which will soon defuse the anger. Still, remain under control and don't become aggressive.

Other survival-threatening situations (such as being chewed out by the boss) must be endured in silence until you can slip away to burn off the negative energy, perhaps through a brisk walk or some vigorous kick-boxing.

Today's Interactive Tools

The third-party content provided in the Health Library of phoebeputney.com is for informational purposes only and is not designed to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or replace the professional medical advice you receive from your physician. If you or your child has or suspect you may have a health problem, please consult your primary care physician. If you or your child may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 or other emergency health care provider immediately in the United States or the appropriate health agency of your country. For more information regarding site usage, please visit: Privacy Information, Terms of Use or Disclaimer.

Follow us online:

© 2014 Phoebe Putney Health System  |  417 Third Avenue, Albany, Georgia 31701  |  Telephone 877.312.1167

Phoebe Putney Health System is a network of hospitals, family medicine clinics, rehab facilities, auxiliary services, and medical education training facilities. Founded in 1911,
Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital (the flagship hospital) is one of Georgia's largest comprehensive regional medical centers. From the beginning, Phoebe's mission and vision
has been to bring the finest medical talent and technology to the citizens of Southwest Georgia, and to serve all citizens of the community regardless of ability to pay.